Our goal is to assist students who self-identify a documented disability to obtain college level reasonable accommodations and to ensure equal access to resources and supports that may lead to academic success.

Student who feel they need assistance but do not have a documented disability are strongly encourage to contact the Accessibility Services Coordinator to discuss their concerns.

Get Started

Review the page information and then:

  1. Submit Reasonable Accommodation Plan Application
  2. Provide Supporting Documentation
  3. Meet with Accessibility Services Coordinator to finalize plan, if qualify

Information regarding students’ disability is confidential and kept separate from Registrar, Admissions, and other departmental records.

In compliance with Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1991, NCC does not discriminate against students with disabilities in terms of program admissions and/or opportunities for academic success. View full Non-Discrimination Policy and Contacts.

Helpful Information (Q&A)

It does not. You need to complete the Reasonable Accommodations request process to be reviewed for eligibility. Having an IEP or 504 in high school is useful, but it does not guarantee services.

Students should not assume that all of the same accommodations provided in high school will be considered college level accommodations. Some IEPs contained modifications to curriculum or requirements as well as accommodation.

The College can provide reasonable accommodations, but cannot modify program requirements/objectives OR course content/objectives.

Accommodations are provided to ensure equal ACCESS, but do not guarantee academic success.

Important Differences Between High School & College

High SchoolCollege
Special EducationDisability Services
IDEA & Section 504 of the Rehabilitation ActAmericans with Disabilities Act and ADA Amendments Act of 2008, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
Free appropriate public educationMust provide Access
Education is a right and must be provided in an appropriate environment to all individuals.Education is an opportunity. Students must meet certain admissions criteria defined under the ADA as “otherwise qualified”. Students must also meet the criteria of the
accepting institution such as health, character, technical standards, and conduct code and course objectives.
The school district is responsible to identify a student’s disability.Students must self-identify to Disability Services to access accommodations and services.
School district provides free testing and evaluation.Students must provide documentation that supports the
requests for accommodations. Students are responsible for obtaining up-to-date evaluations and medical records.
School district develops Individualized Education Plans (IEP) or 504 plan to
define educational services.
Student must identify needs and request services through Disability Services to develop a reasonable
accommodation plan.
IEP or 504 Plan determine services and school district must ensure that services are provided.A reasonable accommodation plan is available to eligible
students. IEP’s do not apply. Disabilities Services will work
closely with students to support implementation of accommodations by faculty.
IEP or 504 Plan determine services and school district must ensure that services are provided.A reasonable accommodation plan is available to eligible
students. IEP’s do not apply. Disabilities Services will work
closely with students to support implementation of accommodations by faculty.
All teachers are contacted by Special
Education staff.
Students are responsible for presenting reasonable
accommodation plan to faculty.
Fundamental alteration of programs and curricula are required.No fundamental alterations of programs and curricula are required. Students are given equal opportunity to pursue courses and they are evaluated against the same course
objectives as other students.
Student’s strengths and challenges are determined by specialists.Students are expected to develop self-advocacy skills.
Disability Services staff are available to work closely with students as they develop self-advocacy skills.
Personal services for medical or physical disability are required.The college is not required to provide personal services. Disability Services may assist students in advertising for
such services.

* Adapted from Jeanne Kincaid, Esq., Presentations at AHEAD Annual Conferences

Reasonable accommodations are academic adjustments that may help to “level the playing field”.

They are meant to provide access and equal opportunity for students, but do not alter course objectives or modify course content nor guarantee academic success.
Reasonable accommodations are created in collaboration with the student and listed as part of a Reasonable Accommodation Plan (RAP).

Accommodations can vary based upon learning need and type of disability.

Examples of potential accommodations:

  • extra time on assessments (tests)
  • reduced-distraction testing environment
    audio recording of lectures
  • use of a four-function calculator
  • ASL Interpreter, etc. In addition, some student may use

Examples of potential auxiliary aids:

  • specialized software: ZoomText Magnifier/Reader; JAWS, Kurzweil 3000, etc.
  • adaptive equipment: adapted mouse, adapted keyboard; adjustable desk, etc.
  • assistive devices: digital records, digital textbooks, FM system

The above are not exhaustive lists and all approved accommodations and/or auxiliary aids are based on documented need and are considered reasonable and appropriate to the higher education environment.

Students should contact the Accessibility Services Coordinator as soon as possible.

This may allow the student enough time to obtain the required supporting documentation.

In order to receive accommodations students must complete the intake process.

If possible start the process 4-6 weeks prior to the start of the semester; however, a request for accommodations can be submitted at anytime during the semester.

Preferably, supporting documentation must be completed within the last three to five years prior to the request.

If your documentation is older than five years, contact the Accessibility Services Coordinator (ASC) to discuss alternatives.

Recent high school graduates with an IEP or 504 Plan:

Copy of IEP or 504 Plan AND last 3-year evaluation (ex. neuropsychological testing, speech language, etc.) completed in high school. If you do not have copies, contact your high school

High school graduates who graduated five or more years ago:

Updated neuropsychological testing may be required for students who have been out of high school for three (3) or more years. Prior to getting an updated evaluation, contact the ASC for exceptions and/or other possible options.

Students who did not have IEP or 504 Plan in high school:

Contact with the ASC for to discuss potential ways to obtain supporting documentation.

Physical, mental health, and/or other diagnoses that impact learning:

Your physician, therapist, psychiatrist can complete the ADA Verification Form. The licensed professional must complete this form.

At times, additional documentation may be requested to supported specific accommodation requests.

When a request is denied

  • The College will explain the reasons for the denial, in writing, to the student;
  • The College will consider whether effective alternatives exist that would allow the individual with a disability to participate without lowering essential requirements or fundamentally altering the nature of the program; and
  • If the request is denied because the College deems the documentation that the student provided is deficient, the College will explain why it is deficient so that the student can resolve any such deficiencies.

Once you and the Accessibility Services Coordinator meet to review your college Reasonable Accommodation Plan, you will email your instructors a PDF copy of your plan and have an ongoing conversation with your instructor to request and discuss when you need/want to use specific accommodations throughout the term.

Once a student provides their Reasonable Accommodation to Plan to the instructor, the instructor must provide the listed accommodations. The instructor may discuss with the student how specific accommodations will be met in their course.

Student participation in Accessibility Services is voluntary; however, NCC is required by law to make services available to qualified students. However, if a student does NOT provide the RAP to the instructor, the instructor is NOT legally required to provide accommodations.

Request testing accommodations:

NOTE: There is no need to request extended time as the Accuplacer is an un-timed test. If you need more time than is scheduled, the test can be saved and you can schedule a time to complete it.

Request Records: